The Rigat Law Firm, Military Attorney in Clinton, Connecticut
If you are facing military court proceedings at the New London Naval Submarine Base, you may not want a JAG officer representing you. Instead, Raymond Rigat of the Rigat Law Firm provides military attorney experience from a civilian not affiliated with any branch of the United States Armed Forces. He knows the special concerns naval servicemen and women have in both military and civilian courts.
Raymond Rigat is the right choice for your military law needs. As a naval veteran and a former JAG officer, he knows the special concerns come up when a naval officer goes to court. Ray worked as a Lieutenant in the Judge Advocate General Corps for three years before going into civilian private practice in 1993. Since then, he has continued to represent servicemen and women as a civilian in military courts-martial, administrative proceedings, and in civilian court. He will take care of you and your military status.
Charges for violations of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, could put you in front of a military court martial. There are three kinds of courts martial (sometimes called court martials), depending on the severity of your conduct:
- Summary Court Martial, an alternative court martial for low-severity offenses;
- Special Court Martial for intermediate offenses including up to 6 months confinement;
- General Court Martial for high-severity offenses, with penalties including death sentences, dismissals, or discharge.
Civilian military attorney Raymond Rigat can appear with you to defend your freedom and your military status. He will work to keep you from receiving a dishonorable or bad conduct discharge that could follow you into civilian life.
If your behavior doesn't rise to the level of court martial proceedings, your command may choose to submit you to involuntary administrative separations. You may face these proceedings for:
- Less severe criminal conduct;
- Patterns of misconduct;
- Drug use;
- Civilian criminal convictions;
- Health or weight issues; and
- Poor Duty Performance.
A poor outcome at an administrative separation could saddle you with an other-than-honorable discharge. Even though this doesn't necessary mean you did anything wrong, that label could cause you problems getting employment or housing in the civilian world.
Raymond Rigat can go to bat for you with the JAG officers assigned to your administrative separation proceedings to protect your record.
An other-than honorable discharge can significantly affect your civilian life. But you don't have to live with a dishonorable discharge forever. The Rigat Law Firm in Clinton, Connecticut, can apply for a review of discharge to get your status upgraded. This is a two-step process:
- Naval Discharge Review Board: A five-member panel of military personnel will review each application for review of discharge status. It has the authority to change this status, but is often simply a gate-keeper, making sure the application is technically correct and within the jurisdiction of the military court.
- Board for Correction of Naval Records: This civilian board reviews applications for review of discharge status to correct errors and remove injustices. It has the authority to upgrade your other-than-honorable discharge and restore your military record.
Military Servicemen and Women in Civilian Courts
Problems in civilian criminal or civil courts could hurt your military status. Raymond Rigat understands the collateral effects of a civilian criminal conviction or civil court judgment. He will make sure you understand the collateral effects of these civilian charges, and will stand up for you and your record in the civilian courts. Don't hire just any civilian attorney to handle your legal problems. Get someone who understands you, your situation, and your military needs.
Get Military Attorney Raymond Rigat Working for You
Raymond Rigat of the Rigat Law Firm in Clinton, Connecticut, near the New London Naval Submarine Base, gives you the perfect balance of military know-how and civilian interests. Whether your problem is in the military courts or through the state, he will bring a military mindset to defending you and your rights. If you are facing court, contact the Rigat Law Firm today for a free consultation.